Last update: October 2018
We know that you care how information about you is used and shared and we appreciate your trust in us to do that carefully and sensibly. This Privacy Notice describes how we collect and process your personal information through Belaws’ website and services (together “Belaws Services”).
Controllers of Personal Information
Beservices Ltd., a limited company registered under No. 0105560152489 at ITF Building Silom Palace, 160 Silom road, 25th Floor, Room 604, Bangkok 10500 is the data controller of personal information collected and processed through Belaws Services.
Our data controller can be contacted at [email protected].
What Personal Information About Customers Does Belaws Collect?
We collect your personal information in order to provide and continually improve our products and services.
Here are the types of information we gather:
- Information You Give Us: we receive and store any information you provide in relation to Belaws Services. You can choose not to provide certain information but then you might not be able to take advantage of many of our Belaws Services.
- Information From Other Sources: we might receive information about you from other sources.
For What Purposes Does Belaws Process Your Personal Information?
We process your personal information to operate, provide, and improve the Belaws Services that we offer to our customers. These purposes include:
- Request and delivery of services. We use your personal information to take and handle job requests, deliver services, process payments, and communicate with you about job requests, services, and promotional offers.
- Provide, troubleshoot, and improve Belaws Services. We use your personal information to provide functionality, analyse performance, fix errors, and improve usability and effectiveness of the Belaws Services.
- Recommendations and personalisation. We use your personal information to recommend services that might be of interest to you, identify your preferences, and personalise your experience with Belaws Services.
- Comply with legal obligations. In certain cases, we have a legal obligation to collect and process your personal information. For instance, we collect from lawyers information regarding their lawyer licence and place of establishment for identity verification and other purposes.
- Communicate with you. We use your personal information to communicate with you in relation to Belaws Services via different channels (e.g., by phone, email, chat).
- Purposes for which we seek your consent. We may also ask for your consent to process your personal information for a specific purpose that we communicate to you. When you consent to our processing your personal information for a specified purpose, you may withdraw your consent at any time and we will stop processing of your data for that purpose.
What About Cookies?
Does Belaws Share Your Personal Information?
Information about our customers is an important part of our business and we are not in the business of selling our customers’ personal information to others. Belaws shares customers’ information only as described below and with its affiliated companies that are either subject to this Privacy Notice or follow practices at least as protective as those described in this Privacy Notice.
- Transactions involving Third Parties: We make available to you services provided by third parties for use on or through Belaws Services. For example, our lawyers will provide their services to you through Belaws and Belaws will share customer information related to those transactions with them. Our lawyers are subject to strict confidentiality regulations depending on the jurisdiction where they operate.
- Third Party Service Providers: We employ other companies and individuals to perform functions on our behalf. Examples include developers, analysing data, providing marketing assistance, processing payments and providing customer service. These third-party service providers have access to personal information needed to perform their functions, but may not use it for other purposes. Further, they must process the personal information in accordance with this Privacy Notice and as permitted by applicable data protection laws.
- Business Transfers: As we continue to develop our business, we might sell or buy other businesses or services. In such transactions, customer information generally is one of the transferred business assets but remains subject to the promises made in any pre-existing Privacy Notice (unless, of course, the customer consents otherwise).
- Protection of Belaws: We release account and other personal information when we believe release is appropriate to comply with the law; enforce or apply our Terms & Conditions and other agreements; or protect the rights, property or safety of Belaws, our users or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organisations for fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
- Attorney-client privileges: Customers may share confidential information about their potential matters to our lawyers through Belaws Services. The information shared on a job request are not protected by the attorney-client privileges. The attorney-client privileges relationship only starts from the moment the customer accepts the quotation from the lawyer and signed the engagement letter.
- Other than as set out above, you will receive notice when personal information about you might be shared with third parties and you will have an opportunity to choose not to share the information.
Transfers out of the European Economic Area
Whenever we transfer personal information to countries outside of the European Economic Area in the course of sharing information as set out above, we will ensure that the information is transferred in accordance with this Privacy Notice and as permitted by the applicable laws on data protection.
How Secure is Information About Me?
We design our systems with your security and privacy in mind.
- We work to protect the security of your information during transmission by using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) software, which encrypts information you input.
- Credit card data is handled in compliance with the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS).
- We maintain physical, electronic and procedural safeguards in connection with the collection, storage and disclosure of personal customer information. Our security procedures mean that we may occasionally request proof of identity before we disclose personal information to you.
- It is important for you to protect against unauthorised access to your password and to your computers, devices, and applications. Be sure to log out when you finish using a shared computer.
What Information Can I Access?
You can access your information, including your name, address, billing information, profile information in the “Settings” section, job history the “Completed” section and documents shared through Belaws Services in the “My Files” section of the website. You can access to your company information in the “Company” section of the website.
What Choices Do I Have?
If you have any questions or objection as to how we collect and process your personal information, please contact our customer service. Many of our Belaws Services also include settings that provide you with options as to how your information is being used.
- As described above, you can choose not to provide certain information but then you might not be able to take advantage of many of the Belaws Services.
- You can add or update certain information on the “Settings” section. When you update information, we usually keep a copy of the previous version for our records.
- If you don’t want to receive e-mail or other communications from us, please adjust it in the “Settings” section.
- If you want to browse our websites anonymously, you may do so by logging out of your account and disabling cookies on your browser.
- When you consent to our processing your personal information for a specified purpose, you may withdraw your consent at any time and we will stop any further processing of your data for that purpose.
- You will also be able to opt out of certain other types of data processing by updating your settings on the “Settings” section.
In addition, subject to applicable law, you have the right to request access to, correct, and delete your personal data, and to ask for data portability.
You may also object to our processing of your personal data or ask that we restrict the processing of your personal data in certain instances. If you wish to do any of these things, please contact our customer service.
Are Children Allowed to Use Belaws Services?
If you are under 18 years old, you must not use Belaws Services.
How Long Do We Keep Your Personal Information?
We keep your personal information to enable your continued use of Belaws Services, for as long as it is required in order to fulfil the relevant purposes described in this Privacy Notice, as may be required by law such as for legal, tax and accounting purposes, or as otherwise communicated to you. For example, we retain your job history so that you can review past jobs (and access data if desired).
Contacts, Notices & Revisions
If you have any concern about privacy at Belaws or want to contact our data controller, please us with a thorough description and we will try to resolve the issue for you. Customer service can be contacted by email at [email protected]. Further, the data protection officer for the above mentioned data controllers can be contacted at [email protected].
Our business changes constantly and our Privacy Notice will change also. You should check our website frequently to see recent changes. Unless stated otherwise, our current Privacy Notice applies to all information that we have about you and your account. We stand behind the promises we make, however, and will never materially change our policies and practices to make them less protective of customer information collected in the past without the consent of affected customers.
Examples of Information Collected
Information You Give Us When You Use Belaws Services
You provide information to us when you:
- post a job request;
- liaise with lawyers and share documents and information with the lawyer that you have chose for your matter through Belaws Services;
- provide information when you register an account (and you might have more than one if you have used more than one e-mail address);
- configure your settings;
- request services on or through Belaws Services;
- communicate with us by phone, e-mail, or otherwise;
- complete a questionnaire or a job request form;
- upload images, videos or other files to Belaws Services.
As a result of those actions, you might supply us with such information as: your name; address and phone number; payment information; your age; your location information; information concerning your personal or business details and issues; photograph; email and phone number.
Examples of the information we collect and analyse include:
- the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the Internet;
- login; e-mail address; password;
- the location of your device or computer;
- device metrics such as when a device is in use, application usage, connectivity data, and any errors or event failures;
- Job requests and job history, which we sometimes aggregate with similar information from other customers to create features such as legal alert;
- the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL) clickstream to, through and from our website (including date and time); cookie number; products and/ or content you viewed or searched for; page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs);
- phone numbers used to call our customer service number.
We may also use device identifiers, cookies, and other technologies on devices, applications and our web pages to collect browsing, usage or other technical information for fraud prevention purposes.
Information From Other Sources
Examples of information we receive from other sources include:
- search results and links;
- Know Your Customer (KYC) information to assess potential risks of illegal intentions for the business relationship and detect fraud.
Information You Can Access
Examples of information you can access through Belaws Services include:
- status of recent job request;
- your complete job history;
- all the documents and information shared through Belaws Service;
- personally identifiable information (including name, e-mail, password, communications preferences);
- billing settings;
- e-mail notification settings (including email alerts and newsletters);
- voice recordings associated with your account;
- your Profile.